Rochester Biking Guide
Jul 22, 2016
Have you seen all of the bike lanes in the city! Rochester is doing everything we can to make our city bike friendly. In fact, we’ve won a few awards:
•Bicycle Friendly Community – Bronze Award
•Public Agency Bicycling Champion Award
•WXXI: Rochester Pedals Toward Bicycle Friendly Status
Here’s our latest Rochester Biking Guide.
Since the summer of 2011, the City has added over 45 lane miles and more are on the way. As stated on the City’s Bike Rochester page, bicycling benefits include:
Bicycling Helps the Local Economy
- Almost 20 percent of the average American family’s budget is spent on transportation. Thus, more pedal power, and less fuel consumption can result in real savings for Rochester’s families.
- Increased disposable income can result in increased spending in the local marketplace, which would boost the local economy.
- Improving bicycling conditions is a cost-effective way of optimizing existing public infrastructure.
- Adding bicycling to the daily routine helps us stay healthier; 60% of Americans are overweight or obese, and bicycling is a great solution to the problem.
- According to the Centers for Disease Control, 30 minutes of moderate exercise (like bicycling), five days a week, can reduce the risks for illnesses such as high blood pressure, heart disease, arthritis and depression.
- Bicycle trips create zero emissions, contributing to better air quality for the Rochester region (and cleaner air for all of us to breathe)
Bicycling Communities are Strong Communities
- Improved bicycling conditions provides mobility for people who do not have cars, thereby increasing access to jobs, education, and health care.
- Cities that promote bicycling tend to retain youth, attract young families, and increase social capital.
- Improved bicycling conditions add to the vitality and quality of life of the community and provide access to recreational destinations across the region.
- Better bicycling facilities provide access to public transit, thereby increasing transportation options.
Be sure to visit the page and find out what exciting options we have including bike boxes, trails and cycle tracks. If you’d like to request a bike rack installation, you can do that too!
Public Bike Share Program
If you’ve been to other cities, you make have seen bicycles for rent at stations on the street. The City of Rochester has given the green light to a bikeshare system in our area to be ” sustained by sponsorship, membership revenue and advertising but, according to the city, no taxpayer assistance for capital or operating expenses.” The city is accepting proposals until August 3rd. Get all the details! The University of Rochester already has their own City Cycle program.
Rochester Group Tours on Bikes
Now let’s say you like the idea of getting on a bicycle; you just think it would be more fun with friends. In fact, you think it would be awesome if you could actually take the show on the road and actually party with your friends as you go! Fear not! Your time has come.
Arrange your good time today! Check out our routes.
Rochester Pedal Tours is a pedal powered trolley that is powered by you the guests! No motor, no assists, just you the riders. The pedal is nothing exerting, it’s not the Tour de France people. When you hit a hill you know you hit a hill, when you go downhill you will love it J We accommodate everyone from people celebrating 21st birthdays to older people enjoying an architecture tour to corporate outings. Our on board cubbies ensure ample room to store purses, hoodies, food or any decorations/props you want to bring on board. Regardless if you are doing just a bar crawl your guide will let you know about the surroundings we are passing as we are in route to our destination.
If you’d like a more natural setting for your biking adventures, Rochester, NY is home to many biking trails for your to explore. And if you like to bike for a cause, Roc the Ride is coming this August.
If you’d like more information on biking in Rochester, NY or if you’re considering a move to a more bike friendly neighborhood, we’d love to help! Contact us today! We can’t wait until you can ride on over to our Rochester Design Center store!
Small Business Saturday
Not many years ago small businesses struggled during the holidays when competing with bigger stores. In 2010, American Express decided to make a change! Small Business Saturday on November 25th, the Saturday after Thanksgiving was created to help support the local businesses that make our communities strong. American Express wanted to help bring more holiday…
Tips for Setting Your Table This Thanksgiving
Thanksgiving is a time to gather with family, eat a delicious meal, and think about all the things we are thankful for. While it is easy to focus just on the food, this year add an extra touch with table décor that will really wow your guests. Not only will it add an extra exciting…
Monroe County Housing Stats for October 2017
Welcome, November! It’s the first Saturday of the month which means it’s time to take a look at the Monroe County Housing Stats for October 2017. Late fall is an excellent time to make a move so you can be in your home and ready for the new year. Let’s take a look: Active In…
Unique Pumpkin Seed Recipes
There are many joys of the fall season. However, it is difficult for many of them to stand up to the nostalgia of carving a pumpkin in the end of October. In an effort not to be wasteful, many people save out their seeds while carving pumpkins. This makes a great snack and is a…
Halloween Costumes 2017
Halloween is only a weekend away, so it’s time to start brewing some costume ideas! With the trends of 2017, there are plenty of ideas to choose from, whether humorous, scary, or enchanted! Need some inspiration or ideas? We’ve got you covered! Couples Costumes There’s nothing quite like a classic couples costume! One of the…